Friday, August 15, 2008

I'll Take Manhattan

Another great Primer from the Onion AV Club on another of my all-time faves, Woody Allen. On the last page they sum up with the 5 essential films: Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and her Sisters, Bananas and Husbands and Wives. All great, but I would lose one of the last two to make room for Manhattan, my absolute favorite of his films, and in my top 10 of all time. The final scene when he rushes back to Mariel Hemmingway is so beautifully written and played. The wistful little smile on his face after she says "Not everybody gets corrupted. You have to have a little faith in people." is priceless. Cue Rhapsody in Blue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely add Manhattan, too, but leave Bananas merely for the fact that it has one of my favorite Woody lines:

Fielding: "I love Eastern philosophy. It's... it's metaphysical, and redundant. Abortively pedantic."
Nancy: "I know just what you mean!"