Friday, May 02, 2008

Thank you, Hulu

I've really been getting into Hulu.com lately. They have the motherlode of Irwin Allen sci-fi series from the 60's: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, and Land of the Giants. All these shows are pretty wretched, but they were manna to my pre-teen mind. (And I've written about before.)


I watched repeats of the first 2 as a kid in the 70's, but I never saw Giants or Time Tunnel until this week. But I knew all about them because I had a stash of magazines from the 60's, mostly MAD and Tiger Beat, of all things. (and some Playboys, but that's another post...) You know, those Tiger Beat mags probably had a lot to do with my Monkees obsession. I read those MAD magazines over and over, and there are dozens of movies where I know every plot twist and character because of reading the movie parodies, but have never actually seen. So, I was familiar with the shows because of this and also from reading the novelizations.

I was so into sci-fi show novelizations. I had so many Star Trek books and Planet of the Apes (the TV series), Space 1999 and even Man From Atlantis. In those pre-video, pre-internet days there was just no way to see this stuff unless it happened to show up on one of the 5 TV stations.

So, it was great to finally see Land of the Giants after 30 some years. And boy, was it bad. And I can't wait to watch more!

I've also been catching up on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia repeats. This clip is from my favorite episode, "Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person".

No comments: