Monday, April 07, 2008

Enjoy Old Joy

I watched Old Joy on Saturday, and I liked it, but found it very slow-moving. It seems to be a grower, though, since I've been thinking a lot about it since then. It stars Will Oldham of Palace/Bonnie Prince Billy fame, who actually is an accomplished actor, though better known for his recent appearance in a Kanye West video. It was shot in Portland, so it was fun recognizing different neighborhoods and street scenes. Basically a road trip movie, 2 old friends head out to camp and visit Bagby Hot Springs.

Oldham's character is a thoughtful and rootless slacker, while the other guy has a stressful job, a pregnant wife, drives a Volvo and listens to Air America - all very Portlandesque. Their attempt to reconnect is the core of the story. It's all very subtle, but engrossing. Nice review in the Times.

2 comments:

brett said...

Pete,
Thanks for the recommendation. It happened to be on Sundance the evening after I read your post and we watched it. It was beautiful. I was concerned it would be slow, but in the end, I felt the pace was spot on. And I loved that they went west to go to Bagby.
Thanks.

Pete Best said...

Cool - glad you liked it. This might be the weekend to get out and do some hiking. But, it looks like you're having a good time in Philly instead. Have fun!