Friday, May 18, 2007

Brownie points

Which reminds me... about 8 years ago, I was at a mixing session for my band's debut album. Our producer Tony Lash was at the mixing console in the basement of his friend's house, who was also a music pro. The friend wasn't home, but his girlfriend was there. Between songs we could hear her padding around upstairs.

We were there for a pretty long time, just trying to power through it. After about 2 hours of non-stop work, this incredible smell of baking cookies or brownies came wafting down the stairs. I went up to do a reconnoiter and saw a giant plate of brownies cooling on the kitchen counter. The girlfriend was nowhere to be seen. Overcoming temptation to grab and stuff one in my face, I went downstairs to report my finding to Tony. We were both starving and the brownies smelled so damn good....

After some deep soul-searching and debates on proper guest etiquette, we came to a mutual decision to leave the brownies alone. So we rather miserably finished the mixing session. It was, after all, a pretty big deal to get this mix right. We didn't have much time and money, so we needed to bear down and get it done. The last thing we needed was to get kicked out of the house for stealing a brownie.

So, we were down there for another 3 or 4 hours and finished up, totally starving. As we were getting ready to leave, Tony's friend came home. We chatted a bit and I mentioned how we had not succumbed to the allure of their brownies. I was so proud of not stealing even one. He started laughing and spit out that they were actually extremely potent pot brownies! He said they were so strong that they basically would put us into a coma. Tony and I exchanged glances, realizing that we had just dodged a major bullet. If we had eaten those brownies we would have been too high to mix the record. So, you see, not eating the brownies was actually a good thing - why does this all of a sudden seem like an entry on Guideposts.com? I guess it would have been a better story if we had eaten them and gotten too high to mix our record and thrown up on the mixing board or something. At least, more of a rock story. Hmmm, maybe that's how I'll tell it from now on.

No comments: