Saturday, February 16, 2008

"I think I've been ripped off, dude!"

Well, kudos to Tom Scholz of AOR legends Boston for telling Mike Huckabee to stop using his music in campaign appearances.

"Boston has never endorsed a political candidate, and with all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for," wrote Scholz, adding that he is supporting Democratic Sen. Barack Obama. "By using my song, and my band's name Boston, you have taken something of mine and used it to promote ideas to which I am opposed. In other words, I think I've been ripped off, dude!"

He also recommends that Huckabee "stick to music recorded by far-right Republicans." Ted Nugent - I hope you're paying attention...

I admit I enjoy a little Boston now and again. Their music is the epitome of corporate classic rock, but they do it really well. Wikipedia says that "according to a poll conducted by British music magazine Q, "More Than a Feeling" is #2 of pop songs that respondents were too embarrassed to admit that they liked." Plus, I spent hours as a teenager learning how to play More Than a Feeling. Apparently, so did Kurt Cobain:

"Comparisons between the song have been made to Nirvana's 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain even noted the similarity. And during a live performance of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at the Reading Festival in 1992, bassist Krist Novoselic sang the chorus of "More Than A Feeling" as a statement that the band were tired of playing it live."

No comments: