Saturday, June 09, 2007

Cereal killers

In reference to Pete Best eating 5 bowls of Cap'n Crunch cereal in Seattle last weekend (sweetened cereal being a rarity in his home cupboards), here is a story about the recently deceased woman who came up with it's distinctive taste. This tidbit made me giggle:

In one episode of "Friends," a ruminative Joey asks Chandler, "You ever realize Cap'n Crunch's eyebrows are actually on his hat?"

Thanks, Boing Boing.

I also remember eating Quisp and Quake as a child. Their commercials were made by Jay Ward of Bullwinkle fame. This may be one of the earliest instances of the marketing ploy where a company creates a feud between 2 of it's own products, a la the tiresome "tastes great/less filling" ads. Though this is more Crustodio's bailiwick. Maybe he could elaborate. Anyhoo, here's the clip:



For further such reminiscing, check this out.

1 comment:

Crustodio said...

I wish I could explain my psyche at that age. Was it because I couldn't vote for McGovern? Did I identify with Quisp, the underdog to the jock Quake? Was it my love for The Nutty Professor that made me root for Quisp's obvious impersonation? Or was it simply that that Quake tasted like ass? Regardless, I was vehement in my support of Quisp. Not until the presidential election of 1992 did I show as much interest. Thanks, Bill for letting us Quisp supporters win another one.
p.s. I believe Quisp won the campaign that came to a vote, yet they found a way to keep Quake around. Sound familiar, Al?