Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Dead Guy Scroll

Well, CNN is now telling us that people no longer read. And why should they? Like the guys says in the article "Fiction just doesn't interest me. If I'm going to get a story, I'll get a movie."

Sigh.

So, instead of getting depressed, I'll share a story about the 50th anniversary of Jack Kerouac's On the Road. God, I loved this book when I was a young pup. It certainly inspired at least one cross-country road trip - and made touring in a rock band that didn't get along bearable for a few years. The amazing thing about the book is that he typed the entire thing on one long roll of paper - a scroll, if you will. Yeah, you gotta love amphetamines.

Now for the big five-oh they're actually selling the unedited scroll. I'm gonna put that sucker in my player piano and really freak some people out.

No comments: